Escalators and elevators have had a tremendous impact on contemporary design and architecture. There was a time when people would only use the stairs for going from one level to another. However, thanks to the innovation brought by these two systems, people can now travel easily through multiple levels irrespective of weight. Thus, escalators and elevators have transformed the way people travel up and down in buildings. Today, traveling through a building using an escalator or an elevator has become second nature.
Modern elevators were first introduced in the 1920s. At that time, many people were nervous and apprehensive about traveling across different floors using the new contraption. Several elevator makers, office buildings, and hotels tried to pay soothing music to ease their fears during the journey. Things have changed today as a majority of people do not hesitate to travel from one level to another in a tiny box. However, soothing music can be still heard from time to time in an elevator. Elevator cab interior companies have been constantly innovating to include new features in these machines.
On the other hand, escalators are pretty simple yet fantastic machines. These are basically long conveyor belts, which pulls the stairs to make a moving staircase. The Ancient Egyptians were the people who used the escalators first to build the Great Pyramids of Giza. Tree trunks were used to carry huge stone cubes and rolled towards the actual site. The workers used a long belt to pull them.
Distinctions between elevator and escalator
- An elevator is a room type of lift that can accommodate some people simultaneously. It is used to move passengers up and down across various levels of a building. On the other hand, escalators are moving stairs, which carry people between different levels of a building.
- Luggage, patients, etc. can travel in an elevator but cannot travel in an escalator.
- An elevator is used in a multi-storied building including apartments, offices, hospitals, banks, etc. On the other hand, an escalator is usually used in railway and metro stations, malls, etc.
- While an elevator is a closed cabin, an escalator is a moving stair.
- An elevator can accommodate just 10-15 passengers at a time. However, an escalator is able to carry over 20 people simultaneously.
- An elevator is a kind of vertical transportation, which can transport luggage or people between different building levels. It has an electric motor and has an attached traction cable, as well as, a counterweight system. An escalator features a motor-driven chain running on a particular track that cycles on two tracks.
- Elevators can save electricity whereas escalators consume more energy in comparison.
- An escargot consumes a lot of energy as it has to function continuously, On the other hand, an elevator only uses electricity while in operation.
- An elevator needs a particular machine room for controlling it. However, an escalator does not need a dedicated machine room for controling its system.
Stairs vs escalators
Stairs refer to a set of steps that allow people to walk up and come to move between floors of a building. On the other hand, an escalator is a mechanical device driven by a motor and has a continuous loop of moving stairs.