Shed Some Light on LED Lighting

As the “eco-friendly” trend becomes more popular in today’s society, so does the usage of energy-efficient light bulbs, including LED lights. With all the benefits LED lights have to offer, it’s no wonder that over 78 million LED light bulbs have been installed in US households by 2014. So if LED lights are so common in residential homes, why shouldn’t they also be used in smaller places, such as elevators?

Incandescent lights have been one of the original and most well-known types of light-bulbs used, but unfortunately had some downsides. Out of all the energy one incandescent light bulb produces, 90% is wasted through heat alone while the other 10% is actually used toward light output. These types of lights aren’t ideal for small spaces, such as elevators, as the released heat would increase the overall temperature of the space. Another downside is that it also has an average lifespan of only about 1,200 hours. In other words, one incandescent light-bulb that’s on 24/7 would need to be replaced about every 50 days!

After incandescent lights, halogen light bulbs came into the picture. They’re overall more efficient than incandescent, but they still have some flaws. Compared to the incandescent bulb’s 10% energy usage toward light, the halogen light bulb uses 20% of its total energy toward light. That said, the remaining 80% is wasted through heat which also doesn’t make this type of bulb the best choice for elevators and other small rooms. Halogen lights do have a longer average lifespan than incandescent lights– 3x more to be specific. So for that same room that would need the lights on 24/7, you would only need to change the light bulbs about every 150 days.

Today, we finally have LED lights and all the benefits they have to offer! An LED light bulb uses 80% of its total energy toward light output, making them the most energy-efficient light bulb! While the price per bulb may be more expensive than a halogen or incandescent light, an LED light bulb would need to be changed far less frequently. The average lifespan of LED lights is about 50,000 hours! Because of the long lifespan and little heat output, it’s safe to say that LED lights are perfect for any type and size of room.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *